Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thing #7 Cool Google Tools

Wow! Those were a lot of cool tools. I took the time to explore the following two tools in more detail: Google Calendar and Google Notebook.

Google Calendar is a very interactive calendar that goes way beyond simply informing you of what day it is. What I liked most is how the calendar allows you to invite others to an event listed on you calendar by email. And the nifty event reminder will notify you either by email, pop-up window or a text message to your cell phone of upcoming appointments, birthdays, etc. I'm throwing away my paper calendar today. This is the way to go!

But there's more. I also liked the fact that you can create multiple calendars - a very useful feature to keep your life organized. For example, teachers, librarians and students could set up separate class, personal or work calendars. The sharing setting allows users to share their calendars with others. What a great feature for libraries. I wonder if the Houston Public Library system uses a similar feature to keep track of all the events at their various facilities?

Well, I was simply in love with the Google Calendar until I clicked on the Google Notebook. Here is a place where I can organize those little slips of paper all around my house. Are you kidding! This is another wonderful use of technology. Think of all the trees I will be saving by organizing my thoughts on this site. I can also imagine that students, teachers and librarians could benefit from use of this site when it comes to organizing papers and lesson plans. However, I feel that this site could benefit from some more interactive features such as templates.

2 Comments:

At July 21, 2008 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas about Google Notebook. I realized that it would be great for storing and sharing online resources, but I had missed the part about storing notes and documents. That's simply wonderful! Everything in one place where I can never lose it. (Well, at least through no fault of my own.)

 
At July 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM , Blogger SNunciato said...

I loved the Google tools, too. I spent hours setting up my iGoogle page, the tabs, the settings for each, creating my own gadgets, ... It was fun, and I love how personalized it is.

I overlooked the calendars tools, probably because I have a PDA and didn't think I'd use it, but you're right about using them at the library, with classes, etc. I'm going back to read more and get ready for the new school year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites